Help with funding

If you need help to pay for your respite break, there are various sources of support available. Our bookings team have a wide knowledge of the options and can give you advice on the most appropriate sources depending on your circumstances.

Local authority funding
Many of our guests have their breaks funded by their local authority through their annual self-directed support package. To find out if you are eligible for respite break funding, get in touch with your social worker or occupational therapist to ask for an assessment. If you have a live-in partner, they will be eligible for a carer’s assessment. If you don’t have a social worker, contact the duty social worker at your local authority for advice. There is often a waiting list for assessments so we recommend you get in touch with them as soon as possible.

Local area funding
Thanks to support from The Joicey Trust, The J & JR Wilson Trust and The Merchant's House of Glasgow, we have been able to set up a small fund to help with the cost of breaks at Leuchie House for people living in Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, The Scottish Borders, Glasgow and the West of Scotland. Click here to find out more and to download an application form.

Charity, trust and benevolent association support
If you aren’t eligible for local authority funding, or need it topped up from another source, there are a number of charities, trusts and benevolent associations that may be able to help you depending on your condition and circumstances. These include:

  • Ecas:  Ecas supports physically disabled people of all ages living in the Edinburgh and Lothians area.  We provide grants between £750 - £1500.  Please visit our website at for further information or call our office on 0131 475 2344.
  • MS Society: The MS Society offers Health and Wellbeing Grants and Carers Grants for people with MS and their carers. To find out more contact the MS Society Grants Team on 020 8438 0700 or email
  • MS Research and Relief Fund: The MS Research and Relief Fund provide grants for people with MS which can be used for respite care. For further details visit or phone 01670 505829.
  • Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland: If you live in Scotland and have a chest, heart or stroke illness, you may be eligible for a personal support grant from Chest Heart and Stroke Scotland. You'll find more information here.
  • Stroke Association: If you have had a stroke you may be eligible to apply for a Life After Stroke Grant from the Stroke Association. To find out more visit their website.
  • MND Scotland: If you have motor neurone disease and live in Scotland, you can apply for a Time Out grant of up to £1000 from MND Scotland. For more information phone 0141 332 3903 or email or visit their website
  • MND Association: If you have motor neurone disease, or care for someone who does, and live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, you can apply to the MND Association for a support grant. Phone 01604 25050, email or visit
  • Scottish Huntington’s Association: The Scottish Huntington's Association provides grants of up to £500 for people with Huntington's and their carers. To find out more phone 0141 848 0308,
    email or visit their website.
  • Turn2us: Turn2us is a national charity that helps people access benefits and grants. Find out more at
  • The Act Foundation: ACT provides grants to individuals in the UK with the aim of enhancing the quality of life for people in need, particularly those we have a physical or mental disability, or the aged. You'll find more information here.
  • 3H Fund: 3H run a programme offering grants to assist disabled people and their families on low incomes to organise a UK holiday. The grants are given for the accommodation part of the holiday and are paid direct to the chosen venue. To find out more visit
  • SSAFA: SSAFA The Armed Forces Charity provides support for members of the armed forces past and present. Visit to find out more.
  • There are also various Benevolent Associations who offer support. Ask the Leuchie bookings team for more information.

For advice on all the different ways you can get help to fund your Leuchie break, phone our bookings team on 01620 892864. They'll talk through the options with you and be able to point you in the right direction.