Help with funding
If you need help to pay for your respite break, there are various sources of support available. Our bookings team have a wide knowledge of the options and can give you advice on the most appropriate sources depending on your circumstances.
Local authority funding
Many of our guests have their breaks funded by their local authority through their annual self-directed support package. To find out if you are eligible for respite break funding, get in touch with your social worker or occupational therapist to ask for an assessment. If you have a live-in partner, they will be eligible for a carer’s assessment. If you don’t have a social worker, contact the duty social worker at your local authority for advice. There is often a waiting list for assessments so we recommend you get in touch with them as soon as possible.
Charity, trust and benevolent association support
If you aren’t eligible for local authority funding, or need it topped up from another source, there are a number of charities, trusts and benevolent associations that may be able to help you depending on your condition and circumstances. These include:
- Alan Bott Charity. Thanks to the support from the Alan Bott charity, we have been able to set up a small fund to help our guests meet the cost of a break at Leuchie House. To apply please download the application form and return the form to Jo and Katy in the bookings team. Grants available are between £300 and £500
- Ecas: Ecas supports physically disabled people of all ages living in the Edinburgh and Lothians area. We provide grants between £750 - £1500. Please visit our website at www.ecas.scot for further information or call our office on 0131 475 2344.
- MS Society: Carer and Health and Wellbing grants are no longer available from the MS Society but grants maybe available from your local MS support group. Find out more here.
- MS Research and Relief Fund: The MS Research and Relief Fund provide grants for people with MS which can be used for respite care. For further details visit www.ms-researchandrelief.org or phone 01670 505829.
- Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland: If you live in Scotland and have a chest, heart or stroke illness, you may be eligible for a personal support grant from Chest Heart and Stroke Scotland. You'll find more information here.
- Stroke Association: If you have had a stroke you may be eligible to apply for a Life After Stroke Grant from the Stroke Association. To find out more visit their website.
- MND Scotland: If you have motor neurone disease and live in Scotland, you can apply for a Time Out grant of up to £1000 from MND Scotland. For more information phone 0141 332 3903 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website.
- MND Association: If you have motor neurone disease, or care for someone who does, and live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, you can apply to the MND Association for a support grant. Phone 01604 25050, email email@example.com or visit www.mndassociation.org.
- Turn2us: Turn2us is a national charity that helps people access benefits and grants. Find out more at www.turn2us.org.uk.
- The Act Foundation: ACT provides grants to individuals in the UK with the aim of enhancing the quality of life for people in need, particularly those we have a physical or mental disability, or the aged. You'll find more information here.
- 3H Fund: 3H run a programme offering grants to assist disabled people and their families on low incomes to organise a UK holiday. The grants are given for the accommodation part of the holiday and are paid direct to the chosen venue. To find out more visit www.3hfund.org.uk/grants/.
- SSAFA: SSAFA The Armed Forces Charity provides support for members of the armed forces past and present. Visit www.ssafa.org.uk to find out more.
- There are also various Benevolent Associations who offer support. Ask the Leuchie bookings team for more information.
For advice on all the different ways you can get help to fund your Leuchie break, phone our bookings team on 01620 892864. They'll talk through the options with you and be able to point you in the right direction.
- Call us to find out more 01620 892864
- Sign up for our monthly e‑newsletter, Leuchie Outlook