Ready for Respite
We’re all really looking forward to welcoming you back to Leuchie in the weeks ahead.
It was upsetting to temporarily close our doors for respite in March. We know how difficult this time has been for many of you and your families, especially where support networks have fallen away due to the lockdown restrictions and the need to shield.
While you’ve been away, the team have been working hard and Leuchie has remained open 24/7, supporting the important work of the NHS. We’ve been caring for people who were in hospital, but didn’t need intensive medical care, to free up hospital beds and staff to care for COVID patients.
During this time Leuchie has been working closely with our regulator, the Care Inspectorate, senior clinicians in the NHS, Social Work departments and the Government to develop the highest standards of infection control procedures. Our staff have had all this time to get used to working in this new way ahead of our reopening for respite breaks. These practices have been observed and assessed by the local Health and Social Care Partnership and judged to be excellent.
But, of course, there have been some changes to the way we operate and this means we can keep you and our team safe and relflect current guidelines in our practice. The biggest changes which we think you'll notice are:
- Full PPE has been and remains readily available and is always used according to Government guidelines. This means that the Leuchie team wear masks in all public areas and masks, gloves and, if necessary, aprons when supporting guests.
- Everyone working in Leuchie is tested each week.
- All guests due to attend Leuchie must be tested and show a negative result in the 48 hours prior to their arrival.
- We’ve converted the Activity Room into an extension of the dining room, to support socially distanced mealtimes.
- We’ve created a one-way system in the stairway – main stairs up and back stairs down – to support social distancing. This means that when working between floors, things can take a few moments longer.
- Outing venues, transport arrangements and group outings are very restricted by Government guidance and common sense. We’ll still offer 1 trip on your stay and we’ll chat to you about what makes sense. All trips will be within East Lothian. We will of course still do what we can to provide change of scene and we have even had the ice cream van visit us – on the odd sunny day!
- Some of the complimentary therapies enjoyed by some guests cannot take place, as many therapists are restricted by the nature of their work being close contact and by their insurance conditions.
We’re being kept up to date with changes in guidance as they happen and we are making any necessary changes very quickly.
We’ve also taken the opportunity to complete the renovation and upgrades to the facilities in preparation for your return, and we hope you like what you see! All bedrooms have been renovated, bringing the standard of room up to match the standard of care, that we aspire to deliver to all guests. We’ve created new, larger bathrooms, wet rooms and changing areas so that we can offer a more comfortable experience to guests, including a jacuzzi bath with one of the best views in Scotland!
So, whilst much has changed for us all, somethings remain the same: a warm welcome, high quality care, fine food and the pleasure of the company of old friends.
We all look forward to welcoming you to Leuchie soon.
- Call us to find out more 01620 892864
- Sign up for our monthly e‑newsletter, Leuchie Outlook