Volunteering at Leuchie
Download our new leaflet to find out all you need to know about volunteering at Leuchie House!
Our award-winning team of volunteers - the Friends of Leuchie - are involved in just about everything that goes on at Leuchie House!
Aged from 16 to 70+, they come from all kinds of backgrounds and bring a wide range of different skills and perspectives that enhance our service in numerous ways.
Last year our volunteers worked over 4,000 hours in total at Leuchie, taking part in all sorts of activities - assisting guests at meal times, office work, fundraising, helping with guest activities and outings, gardening, decorating and much more.
So whatever skills you have and however much time you can spare, there are lots of ways you can get involved at Leuchie. If you are a good listener, get on well with others, and you're committed and enthusiastic, you already have many of the skills we need.
Meet some of our volunteers
We offer ongoing support and training to all our volunteers to make sure you'll feel confident in carrying out your role to the best of your ability. Here are just a few of the volunteering roles available at Leuchie:
- Physiotherapy assistant: supporting our physio team to deliver individual treatments to guests. No previous physiotherapy experience is required for this role.
- Mealtime assistant: many of our guests need assistance at mealtimes and they appreciate volunteers who can come and chat to them while they enjoy their meals.
- Drivers: Leuchie guests enjoy outings to various places, both nearby and further afield, and we need people who are willing to drive our fully accessible vehicles.
- Gardeners: the extensive grounds at Leuchie need constant upkeep so if you have green fingers your horticultural skills will be put to good use!
- Guest engagement: helping with our in-house actvities programme, socialising, and making sure our guests have fun!
- Fundraisers: we have an ongoing programme of charity collections and are always keen to hear from anyone who can spare a few hours to help out with can collections.
- Admin support: helping our office staff with all the behind-the-scenes tasks that keep Leuchie running smoothly.
How you'll benefit
One of the many positives about volunteering is that everyone benefits:
- If you're in S5 or S6 at school, volunteering will help build your self-confidence and social skills, as well as giving you an edge in higher education and job applications.
- If you're a student, it provides invaluable work experience to supplement your academic learning.
- If you are temporarily out-of-the-workforce bringing up children, it can give you an opportunity to refresh your skills and learn new ones before tackling the job market.
- Working people tell us that volunteering at Leuchie gives them a reality check and a different lens through which to view the stresses of their working lives.
- Our retired volunteers say that it helps keep them connected and introduces them to lots of interesting people.
- All of our volunteers talk about the personal satisfaction it gives them.
The difference you'll make
By donating your time to volunteer at Leuchie you'll be helping to provide a vital service to people living with long term conditions and their families. Respite breaks at Leuchie offer a lifeline to people with MS, Parkinson's, cerebral palsy and many other conditions, giving them a much needed opportunity for a holiday. For their families it offers an essential break from the demands of providing 24/7 care. Whatever your volunteering role at Leuchie, you'll play a part in enabling this to happen.
Take the plunge!
If you are interested in volunteering at Leuchie, we'd love to hear from you! Get in touch with Nicole Turner, Volunteer Coordinator, who'll be pleased to send you an application pack, chat with you about the opportunities available and the best fit for you. You can email her or phone her on 01620 892864.
In 2016, the Friends of Leuchie were awarded The Queens Award for Voluntary Service - the highest award a voluntary group can receive in the UK - in recognition of their ‘outstanding work in the community’.
- Call us to find out more 01620 892 864